Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tamarind Chicken: Last Post before Thailand!

As the title suggests, this is my last post before I move to Iowa and then Chiang Mai, Thailand for 3 weeks of Thai massage training and cooking lessons. I am planning to post about my culinary adventures in the "land of smiles" so stay tuned for that....and in the mean time I managed to squeeze in one more "blog meal" (they take much longer than "regular meals" ;) before I pack up my kitchen and hit the road:

I finally got the pastured chicken I ordered from a local farm 2 weeks ago, and it was big one - over 4 lbs! Luckily, it still fit in the slow cooker, since that's the only way to cook a chicken inside on a 102 degree day :) I decided to use up some of the seasonings from the sambar I recently made, since we're moving next week and I don't want it to go to waste. And for once, my frugal nature paid off - it was easy and delicious! I served the chicken along with some farm-fresh roasted potatoes and sautéed squash, tomatoes, and onions.


Slow-cooker Tamarind Chicken 

Ingredients:

1 whole 3.5-4 lb chicken
3 Tbsp sambar powder, divided (store bought or homemade)
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp tamarind paste
1 Tbsp olive oil



1. Place chicken in slow-cooker
2. Mix tamarind paste, 2 Tbsp sambar powder, and olive oil in small bowl

3. Spread mixture over chicken and then coat with remaining Tbsp sambar powder

4. Cover and cook on high 8 hours

Optional: While chicken cooks - hang out at a fun Indian grocery store with a friend. I'm going to miss you Erika :)

About an hour before supper-time:

Turmeric Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients:
1-2 lbs small red or white potatoes
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp olive oil

1. Wash potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces
2. Place in 8x8 baking dish, drizzle olive oil over potatoes and toss to coat
3. Sprinkle with turmeric, cumin, cayenne, and ginger - toss to coat

4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 45 mns to 1 hour


When the potatoes are almost done....

Sautéed Squash, Onions, and Tomatoes

Ingredients:
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, chopped
1 small yellow onion, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 fresh thai (or other) chilies, stems removed and cut in half (this will be spicy! remove seeds if needed)
1 Tbsp coconut oil

1. Heat oil and add onion and chilies, cooking until onion is translucent and just starting to brown

2. Add zucchini and yellow squash, continuing to cook until squash is soft

3. Add tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes

This meal was my non-traditional way to use several traditional Indian spices that pair well together. It turned out delicious - I hope you give it a try!

2 comments:

erika said...

I will miss our adventures also:) I never know what to do with whole chickens when I buy them. I pretty much always end up boiling, no so good:( When you put the season on did you also rub it inbetween the skin? Or did you rub on the spice on top of the skin and throw the whole thing in the crock pot? school me lady, i need to learn! looks good!

Unknown said...

I just smeared it on the outside of the skin. I used to spend a bunch of time putting the spices under the skin but didn't notice a difference (other than garlic cloves-those are best under the skin) - so save the time and just smear it on the outside ;) Slow-cooking is my favorite way to cook chicken now. You can coat it with a little oil and whatever spices you like (sage,rosemary,oregano,thyme,etc), cook it on high 6 hours or low all day, and it's always moist and flavorful! You can also take the skin off before you cook it if you want. I often use the leftovers to make thai-style fried rice the next night- can't waste that pricey pastured chicken :)