Monday, January 17, 2011

Just another manic (meatless) Monday...

Today is my last day of winter break before hitting the books. I'm glad I made a shopping list for the next few nights' meals yesterday because today I was somehow in a last-minute rush at the grocery store ;) I adapted a recipe from the book Pot Luck by Mable Hoffman. I have made this several times and always wondered how it would taste without the ground beef. Turns out it doesn't need the meat, especially with all the extra spices I added...

1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (or 2 med tomatoes, chopped)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 15 oz can black beans (I think I'd add another can of beans next time)
2 medium sweet potatoes (yams) peeled and thinly sliced (I left the peels on)
1/3 cup chopped raisins
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/2 Tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9 x 11 baking dish with olive oil. Spread beans in even layer in dish and sprinkle with half of the cumin, chili powder, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt. Layer the potatoes over the beans. Sprinkle with the raisins, tomatoes, and onion. Sprinkle with the other half of the spices. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes are done. Serve hot.


I think this would be really yummy served over basmati or jasmine rice.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Sounds really good! We'll definitely try this sometime this week :)